Shop Manager (Heavy Highway Equipment)
Location: Lake Bluff, IL
At Peter Baker & Son we are paving the future for our customers and our employees. We currently have an exciting opportunity for a driven individual who takes ownership of the equipment and maintenance shop to join our team. The Shop Manager (Heavy Highway Equipment) is responsible for maintaining the safety and productivity of all company heavy equipment and vehicles including asphalt pavers, rollers, grinders, tankers, trucks, lowboys, etc. This position will serve as the first-line supervisor directing the workflow within the maintenance shop.
- Manages department staff with responsibility for scheduling work assignments, performance management, discipline, authorization of overtime, training and other assigned duties.
- Communicates with operations regarding status of fleet vehicles and equipment on a regular basis.
- Monitors and inspects equipment while work in progress and at completion to ensure quality and safety standards are maintained.
- Maintains adherence to company policies regarding operations and safety issues while maintaining a safe and productive work environment for all employees.
- Sets the standard for excellence in the Maintenance Department and assumes leadership role.
- Maintains an ongoing preventive maintenance program to assure vehicle safety and operating efficiency.
- Ensures corrective maintenance is performed safely, effectively, and expeditiously in order to avoid unnecessary downtime of vehicles and/or equipment.
- Performs necessary research to ensure that tool/equipment purchases are advantageous to the company and presents recommendations for the acquisition of new and/or replacement tools/equipment.
- Manages vendor relationships to ensure warranty repairs and cost-effective maintenance of tools and equipment.
- Controls maintenance costs relating to personnel, purchasing, inventory control and outsourcing of repairs.
- Coordinates purchase activity with shipping/receiving clerk.
- Reviews status reports including road calls, break downs, and shop hours.
- Other duties as assigned.
What you need to succeed:
- Minimum 3 - 5 years of heavy equipment maintenance experience.
- Prior management or leadership experience preferred.
- Proficient computer skills in applications such as Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Valid Driver’s License and good Motor Vehicle Record (MVR).
- Knowledge of heavy machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Union experience is a plus.
- A motivated self-starter with a demonstrated team player mentality.
In Exchange for your commitment and passion, we offer the following:
- Competitive Salary
- Excellent Health, Dental, and Vision Benefits
- Paid Time Off and Holidays
- Company Vehicle
Founded in 1915 by Peter Baker and his son Arthur Baker Sr. as a roofing business, the company is currently under the control of 4th generation brothers Art and Rob Baker. With asphalt production facilities located in Lake Bluff, Lakemoor, Marengo and North Chicago we are able to service customers throughout Northeastern Illinois including Lake, McHenry, Cook, DeKalb, Kane, DeKalb and Boone Counties. We are committed to producing quality materials and providing quality construction services by our team of experienced and dedicated personnel. Learn more at www.peterbaker.com
No phone calls or agencies, please.